Monday, October 29, 2007

October's autumn

I have always been intrigued by the season of autumn, maybe it's the name but I found in my life that this special season each year is a time of reflection, evaluation, and motivation.

I recently spoke on the campus at North Greenville University and challenged students with the Deuteronomy 6:1-13, and how before we can love anyone or anything else, we must have the understanding that God, first and foremost, should be the love of our life. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind!"

I don't know about you, but the more news I watch, the more advertising for self I see, and the more our world becomes so self-centered, I am to the point I'm no longer shocked. Maybe that is good and maybe that is bad. I just don't know.

For the past week I have watched fire after fire in California, and just Sunday early morning, a house with college students caught a blaze and students lives were taken. Why the taking of lives? Why the taking of homes that mean so much? I think when I look back at all the bad news Job received, material possessions gone, servants killed, his own sons and daughters lives taken away, Job's response amazes me. Job 1:20 says "Job arose, tore his robe, shaved his head, fell to the ground, and worshiped."

The question for us - is that our response? When life seems to throw curve balls, when we receive the bad news, when we get the bad doctor's results, or when our best friend no longer wants to hang out anymore, what do we do. Finally in Job 1:22, Job responded, "Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I will return, the Lord gives the Lord takes away, Blessed be the Name of the Lord."


The question before us: do we bless the Lord at all times. I shared this story of Job very passionately this summer with our student mission teams and I can't tell you how many students paid attention to this one in particular. I told the students if they didn't have a life verse or theme for their life that Job 1:21 would be a great one.

I don't know what will happen in the days ahead. I don't know what catastrophe may happen in my own life. I don't know necessarily why God allows certain things to happen to certain people. And I don't know why these crazy things we hear of and see today affect so many people around, but what I know is God is listening for His children, ready to forgive his people, standing ready to help in times of need, and always ready to love.

No matter what, no matter when, no matter where, no matter who - bless the name of Jesus!

No comments: