Monday, January 05, 2009

quick 2008 look back

Two stories of two people who made me remember 2008:

Number One:
I was really impressed with one of our summer missionaries whose name was Courtney Spiers. If you could have a model missionary to serve on your staff as far as knowing the Bible, telling the Bible, and devoted to the Bible… she was the one! As I and some of the summer missionaries traveled each week to our WBA churches, I always enjoyed hearing Courtney share her testimony and how she had grown up in Mission Friends, GA’s, and Acteens learning about missionaries (praying for them, writing to them, etc.). That part of her story coupled with the Acts 1:8 scripture that she shared really made me thank God for her testimony of her mission desire to make Christ known all around the world. The way she related the Bible to kids at day camp and even to collegiate lifeguards was a true sign of her relationship to Christ and His Word. She was a good people person, hard worker, good staffer, but ultimately she was used by God because she had a clear and right upbringing that made her want to know Christ, His Word, and to share it with people around her.

Number two:
Every opportunity I have to present my ICO presentation before people, I speak of one who I respect and love more in each passing day. She is the best missionary to lifeguards that I know. Her heart and passion for lifeguards gets stronger and stronger each year and she has done it for many years, and just this month she turns 70 years old. Her name is Beady Moore and she helps coordinate the suppers in the FBC of North Myrtle Beach each week during the summer. To the lifeguards, she is known respectfully as the “Church Lady” and she loves her lifeguard hugs as they come in each week and as they depart. One of the added benefits of my position has been to work with Beady and get to know her personally. She’s a volunteer minister (basically) at her church. If its ministry in any shape or form, Beady has got a part in it… dedicated and active in her local church. Her resume includes many years of service and ministry and even missions, both locally-statewide-internationally. I had a lunch with Beady about a month after the Summer to talk about our summer lifeguard ministries/suppers and what we can do better to reach the lifeguards in a greater way. I wish you could have gone with me, to hear the stories and concerns, to hear a person whose faith has been challenged, yet she spoke with full faith and confidence in her Lord. Maybe I’ve made a mark on her life, but the mark on mine she has made is bigger and better.

No comments: