Wednesday, May 12, 2010

In my last post, I commented on the GCR report...

READ THE LAST POST CONCERNING MY THOUGHTS ON THE GREAT COMMISSION RESURGENCE (GCR) TASK FOR REPORT & THEN READ THIS ONE

For this post I want to share two books that I have read and lingering thoughts concerning why I wrote the last report...

In college at Charleston Southern University, my (youth ministry) classmates joked that I would become the next SBC president. I say that to say that I am an avid follower of all things SBC. I read Baptist Press just about daily. I like to engage in understanding the work of SBC both today and in the past. Twice now, I have had both the mandate and opportunity to take a course (for Masters and PhD degrees) concerning the SBC with special emphasis on New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (NOBTS) and the Cooperative Program (CP).

In my experience the past three and a half years in associational work, I think the CP and the work of the local baptist association have much in common. The idea that "what we can not do ourselves we can do together" is found in both the association and the CP. Some have said "the light that shines the farthest shines the brightest at home." I think they understand that cooperation and association is the meat behind the reality.

I resonate with the words of the Apostle Peter (in 1 Peter 2:9) when he wrote, "you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession...." I am a believer in Christ. As a believer in Christ I hold to the reality that my life must worship God, which is evidenced by the cry of the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 10:31. As a believer who worships God, I think that Baptist doctrine closely aligns with the Truth of God's Word. I do not have a problem endorsing a faith statement like the Baptist Faith and Message 2000.

Realizing who I am, Whose I am, and that God's Word speaks to this "penetrating of lostness," I fully agree we must be actively sharing our faith in Christ and our love for Christ. My goal as an associational worker and (NAMB) Mission Service Core missionary is to 'empower, excite, and equip local churches and mission groups to do the Great Commission through the Great Commandment.' I am continuing in Southeast Georgia a goal that I began implementing in my ministry in Myrtle Beach.

These two books have helped me along the way:

1. I read the Baptist Reformation by Jerry Sutton in the Summer of 2007. This is a great review of the Conservative Resurgence that happened in SBC life.


2. I finished the book One Sacred Effort by Chad Owen and David Hankins a week and a half ago. I think that this book would be a great read following Sutton's book because it gives a more detailed history of the work of the SBC and it's entities, even up to 2004.


No comments: