Thursday, November 16, 2006

An open letter to NBC

As a graduate student with an undergraduate degree in Communications and as an avid watcher of your Nightly News cast for the past 12 years, I have noticed something that I thought should shed light to your broadcasting. I have been pleased with your coverage of Hurricane Katrina most notably as I was studying in New Orleans for my grduate degree and left two days before Katrina ravaged the city. I have enjoyed watching coverage of election results for the past six years and the tenacity and commitment you maintain to get the correct news information.

However, I have watched time and time again very apalled at the slant you give certain government individuals much more coverage and air time on your news cast. Specifically, I have questioned your view on leaning much to the "left side" of the issues in a Republican controlled government for the past six years. Just within the last year I have made note of the key individuals on the Democratic side of things concerning who you broadcast, interview, and feature. These noted individuals like Hilary Clinton, Al Gore, Barack Obama, just to name a few. While even on the Republican side of things, individuals like Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, Lindsay Graham, and the re-elected Trent Lott are usually the only ones you broadcast, interview, and feature.

So the question arises, is NBC that biased? Is NBC only giving the information and the views they want the tv-watcher to know? Why not allow other great men and women in Congress some national air time? People sometimes say "that we are a divided country" and I wonder if this is fueled by the NBC corporation, or any other news-related corporation for that manner!

No comments: