Monday, August 28, 2006

A look back at the "long journey home"

One year ago tonight I was weary and shaky of the category five hurricane that beckoned the Gulf Coast and the seminary I was attending. A year later at a different seminary I am still amazed at the sovereignty and complexity of my Father, God. As I have reflected over the past few hours and even the past many months, I have seen and experienced the leading and directing of God's powerful hand. Somehow through the tragedy, somehow through the unanswered questions, and yet even through the dark uncertainty God has remained the same and unchanged. This afternoon I read a story about Bobby Welch and his last service with the people of First Baptist Church Daytona, FL. In his final charge as co-pastor of the huge church family Welch declared, "It’s time for you to go where God is leading you in the future. It’s time for me to go do whatever God’s going to do with me. But I can promise you this as we go different ways today, if we keep coming to Jesus and we keep going for the lost ... we will continue to see each other and bump into each other on the journey." I have lost for a time many great people and servants of God I met and had classes with on campus at New Orleans Seminary. But, "if we keep coming to Jesus and we keep going for the lost ... we will continue to see each other and bump into each other on the journey." I hope to see you, too, on the journey as we keep Kingdom focused all the way!

No comments: