Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Got Tracts?

Here is the story from a week ago and now this is what I am thinking:

As many of you know I faithfully work at Lifeway Christian Store in Raleigh on Capitol Boulevard between 10-20 hours a week. Our store has it's own unique customers granted, but there are some worth blogging about! A lady has come in like two visits out of the last three weeks I have worked. Noting at the checkout counter, " you need some more tracts, do you know when you'll get some more in." And on the way out after she paid her ten bucks worth of 'gospel' tracts, imperatively noting something to the effect of, "how can i tell these kids if i can't get tracts here."

Now excuse me for a moment, when was the last time you needed a tract to tell someone about Salvation in Christ? People may respond to tracts. People may throw the tract on the ground. People may even pass the tract on to some other more likely tract reader. But when did having a tract become the only way to tell someone about Salvation in Christ?

If this is the mind-set we have given about tracts, we have failed. Man can not live by bread alone, and I would substitute the word tract for bread. Man cannot live on tract alone! Take the life-changing Gospel to the hard places, to the hard peoples, not only living it but telling it as you go along. Don't rely on on the tracts, rely on the Father who came and dwelt among us...Who embraced a cross on our behalf so that we could become the righteousness of God!

1 comment:

Richard D. Jenkins said...

I despise tracts. First, where are they usually left? In the bathroom stall. Hmmm, that just says "read me" now doesn't it. Also, it is so impersonal. Can't you just see Mother Theresa,walking the streets of Calcutta and seeing the deep needs there. She looks into their eyes, wipes away the grime and gives them a tract. What a cowardly way to live out faith. I guess they have their palce, but I have yet to find it!! When I see them, I throw them away...unless they are in the bathroom.